One day early last month (August) -- one of the very few hot days this summer has seen -- Judith and I spent an enjoyable time pursuing a "graffiti trail" around Tate Modern in Southwark. Much interesting old architecture was viewed, and when we'd finished with the trail we went to the Tate Modern's restaurant, on the top floor, for some refreshment. Seduced by the menu, I couldn't help but order a bottle of Little Creatures Pale Ale, which is apparently brewed in Fremantle -- see http://www.littlecreatures.com.au/ for more information. I attach a photograph. (In the background is a blurry image of Blackfriars rail bridge and the River Thames.)
Have you Fremantle residents ever heard of this beer before? Have you ever tried it? It's just the thing for a very hot day....
(We finished the excursion with an early dinner at an Italian restaurant in Villiers Street beside Charing Cross Station, sitting outside at a pavement table watching tourists and yoof parading past. You would not believe the number of walking fashion disasters we counted -- more of them committed by the yoof than by the tourists, whom one sort-of expects to be gauche and badly dressed. What is London coming to, grump grump!)
5 comments:
Yes - Little Creatures beer is a bit of a favorite of mine (not that I am a big beer drinker). The Little Creatures pub (and microbrewery) is right on Fishing Boat Harbour - next the Cicerello's Fish & Chips shop - which I believe Judith has fond memories of as a little un.
By the way Joseph - I am extremely impressed that you thought to photograph your beer - is this the normal thing?
is this the normal thing?
Not at all -- it was photographed solely because it was a Fremantle beer and Judith and I thought that you might like to see a picture of it being drunk in London.
Next time we're in Fremantle, we shall have to visit the microbrewery (although I haven't noticed it previously) -- perhaps they do guided tours, or at least have a shop attached at which one can stock up....
Yes indeed, I remember Ciccerello's from when we lived in East Fremantle and after visiting the old Library would get taken for fish and chips out on the blowy Esplanade under the Norfolk Island pines. And of course, have taken JN there since, and had fish and chips there with you guys.
JN photoed Little Critters ale so he could ask you about it, and if you knew where the brewery was. Clearly one for us to visit next time we're in town...
Definitely worth a visit. You can buy the beers anywhere (even London it appears) but the pub was great last time I went there - with yummy nibbly bits and pretty kid friendly too.
Post a Comment