11 December 2008

Facebook - just for the Y generation?

Plans for the Kojonup DHS reunion for our year are evidently continuing.

I have been contacted by about three ex-classmates now via facebook. This is pretty amazing really as I was (until recently) listed under Roslyn Blanchard(now Roslyn Hanna Blanchard) and I don't even remember setting up an account. I think I must have done so last year when I decided I should have a look just to see what people were talking about.

So far I have been contacted by the following:
Tania (Beattie) Harris - Tania started going out with Gary Harris when she was in year 10! She has three grown-up children and works at the school as an assistance.
Karen Marinoni. (Not sure what she is doing)
Leanne Fleay - who is selling Tupperware somewhere in Perth.
Kaylene Shepherd - who is divorced now. I remember she was a 7-Day Adventist or prehaps 4-square and wasn't allowed any music or make-up. She has two children and appeared to be divorced or separated.
Peter Hawkins -who was always very bright at school - but "never really applied himself". He is working on a gold mine in NZ.
And Tony Guest is living in Nth Freo with his mum and dad. He says that Joanne Guest lives in Melville and I saw her contact details were on Facebook too.

I also managed to dig up a couple of Uni friends and have a peek into what they were doing with themselves.

I find the whole concept of Facebook pretty amazing really - talk about instant and continual communication - some people seem to write in when they are going to the bathroom and what they had for breakfast - all the same it is a good way to get in touch or keep in touch with people all over the world with a minimum of effort.

I saw Scott and Kellie are both big Facebook fans. I have about 10 "friends" but they have more than 200 each!! But maybe they are just more popular than me.

4 comments:

Joseph said...

But maybe they are just more popular than me.

Perhaps, but Facebook Friends -- like LiveJournal friends -- aren't necessarily people one has met and know in real life. Some of them may be people one has met only online, and know of only because of a shared online interest or because they're friends of friends of friends who are known in real life. (Although in my case I do know -- and have known for many years -- most of my LiveJournal Friends, since they're from the SF fandom with which Judith and I have been interacting for around thirty years.)

I find the whole concept of Facebook pretty amazing really ... some people seem to write in when they are going to the bathroom and what they had for breakfast

I find that not so much amazing as utterly witless -- haven't these people got anything else to do, that they have to tell the rest of the world about every last bit of trivia which crosses their sensoria? (A more charitable response might be that it helps keep them out of everyone else's way -- imagine if one had to have face-to-face discussions of one's bowel movements....)

rosie said...

I find that not so much amazing as utterly witless -

Yes - I guess "amazing" was the wrong choice of adjective!

By the way - how do you put italics into your comments?

Joseph said...

By the way - how do you put italics into your comments?

By use of HTML tags. This means use of terms such as [i] to turn the italics on and [/i] to turn them off again at the end of the word or sentence -- only instead of the "[]" signs you use "<>". Bold works the same way -- [b] to turn bold on and [/b] to turn it off, again using "<>" instead of "[]". (As you may guess, I have to use "[]" for this explanation because use of "<>" means that you wouldn't see the HTML tags at all.)

rosie said...

ta