15 October 2010

Adventures in plumbing...

Grand planting up day for my 'Maysie Memorial Garden' on Sunday -- so busy list of things to do today. Sitting on loo working out which to tackle first -- go down allotment to dig up plants for the community garden? No, better wait until the washing machine had finished doing the sheets and hang them out to dry before I set off, so could draw planting plan while waiting.... When I noticed steam coming up around the hand-basin next to me:whaaa? Before brain had got much further than 'really shouldn't be doing that -- what's going on?' water started dripping down around the hand basin, then a full-scale little waterfall, sopping carpet. Aaargh! Emergency! emergency!

By the time I'd managed to clear the stopcock cover in the greenhouse, found a screwdriver to unscrew it, another to lift it off, and turned off the water, there was a fine lake on the kitchen floor downstairs, water dripping through the kitchen light fitting, and sopping carpet upstairs. Phoned plumber: £140 all-in, with you within 2 hours -- seemed reasonable so I went for it, with 12 month plumbing insurance cover thrown in. Next hour or so was mopping up the kitchen lake -- always have a floor mop, even if you routinely never bother mopping; putting newspapers down on bathroom carpet to soak up the sop; borrowing more newspapers from neighbour to soak up the sop.

Plumber arrived: flexible woven-silver connecting hose to the hot tap had burst, routine replacement job for him. Just last year (or so), our previous bathroom flood, had been caused by similar flexible connecting hose to toilet giving way. So I got him to replace the cold tap flexible connector before it too got around to giving way, like I just know it would have done before long...

Current state of play: kitchen floor may still have puddles under washing machine and fridge, but its too dark to check them out today. Can't turn kitchen light on or it blows the house lights circuit -- so we will go out for supper this evening. Apart from lack of light to cook by, I just feel a mite too shattered to cook. Bathroom carpet taken up, airing over a couple of chairs until the bed-sheets on our clothes-horses are dry.

Didn't get down to allotment -- but did manage time to dig up forget-me-nots, lung-wort, bearded irises, golden creeping jenny, purple bugle, foxgloves from the back garden to help populate my new community garden at the end of our street.

No comments: