17 November 2008

Dangerous camping at Dwellingup

We are just back from a weekend camping in Dwellingup so I have a pile of muddy washing to do and have just about managed to transfer all the camping paraphernalia from the car to its proper place.

I say "we" went camping - but it was really just Bella, Connor and I. Hamish and Mark stayed in Perth so Mark could recover from his trip to Dubai last week and Hamish could play cricket.

We went with about 10 other families with children in the same year as Connor. So there was a big noisy group of us.

Lots of swimming in the river pools, getting muddy, looking for insects, climbing trees, catching tadpoles and sitting around the fire trying to avoid the smoke.

Unfortunately the weekend was marred at the end as one of the little girls (about 5 years old) fell over backwards into one of the other campers' fires and burnt her hand badly (she is in hospital now and will have to probably have skin grafts). The fire was left unattended with just the coals glowing - I don't think the children realised there was a fire there and we didn't realise there was a fireplace in the area they were playing in. It was just one of those awful things that can happen even when everyone is being careful. Luckily there were two doctors and a nurse amongst our group so she was in good hands early on. PMH (Princess Margaret (children's) Hospital) also has one of the best burns units in the world. So if it was going to have to happen ... you could almost say it was lucky it happened then and in WA.

Onto a cheerier subject...

I mentioned Mark was in Dubai last week (he came back at 4am Saturday) - he is in NZ now (left Sunday at midnight). He is doing some work with a waste recycling technology company - so will be touring the rubbish dumps in Christchurch - should be fun.

Today Connor and Bella are starting swimming lessons at school everyday for two weeks and this weekend Bella, Connor and I (possibly Mark and Hamish but not sure yet) are going to Gracetown (Margaret River) for a weekend with Bella's surfing buddies. We have our fingers crossed for good weather.

2 comments:

judith said...

Hope the little girl who burnt her hand is recovering well. Who were the idiots who left a burned-down fire just smouldering away unguarded in public camping ground with kids around (not to mention possibly unwary adults)? Over here, we've just had Bonfire Night with fireworks -- lots of local families down at the allotment, and one of the Big Rules of Bonfires, strictly enforced, is making sure that whoever is staying on longest knows they must thoroughly douse the coals with water and make sure it is properly out before they leave.

Sounds like you are getting into some sort of summer -- camping, surfing. Here, it's getting dark now at 15.50, and I can feel the chill striking in through the window double-glazing. Tonight, we go stand around in front of Civic Centre wearing our Save Wards Corner t-shirts (in my case, over a good woolly rib-knit, and with padded trousies keeping my legs warm.

Waste recycling technology is absolutely fascinating, I reckon - you'll have to ask Mark to write it up for us.

rosie said...

"you'll have to ask Mark to write it up for us."

Hmmm..good luck. I'll ask him but I can't promise anything.