09 April 2011
A Forest of Dandelions
I went to the allotment this morning, to strim the grass before departure for Australia; that took an hour, which was about half the time I expected to spend on the task. It was such a lovely sunny day -- unseasonably warm for April; so warm in the sunshine that I was, as is my wont on such occasions, legging about in next to nothing -- that I was tempted to stay, and dig out the dandelions which always sprout at this time (but only, thankfully, in the beds we didn't dig over in February or March to take the bean and potato crops). But I couldn't because this afternoon was the 2011 AGM of the Tottenham Civic Society, of which I am (and was re-elected as) the secretary. (I was sorely tempted to propose an emergency motion to move the meeting, in a hired room at Bruce Castle, to the lawn outside, but then our guest's presentation wouldn't have worked -- no cabling of the length required, ambient light too strong for anyone to see the screen, etc. etc..) Instead, I took a couple of photographs of the dandelion crop. By the time we return, a month from now, the flowers will have been replaced by puffballs, and indeed the seeds of the puffballs almost certainly have been released hither and yon, generating colossal quantities of dandelions all over the plot next spring. So be not surprised if I utter a curse or two about the timing of Kellie's wedding as I fork over the soil in April and May 2012....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment